Finished!! Knocked 6 minutes and 45 seconds off my time for a PR! Time for chocolate milk and then a shower (and then all the good and margaritas and beers!)
So excited to get on the road with Brooke in less than 2 hours to head towards Tuscaloosa for a sister weekend! On tap:
- cheese dip + margaritas
- Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Strawberry Abita x 1000000
- slug life clothes
- oh yeah, that half marathon in the morning (me running, them waiting to carry me home at the end!)
You cannot buy electronics with food stamps. You cannot buy cigarettes with food stamps. You cannot buy pet food with food stamps. You cannot withdraw money with an EBT card (food stamps).
Do you know what else you can’t buy with food stamps? Shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, tinfoil, plastic sandwich bags, toothpaste, cleaning products, tampons, pads, over the counter medications (such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc.), and anything else you can think of that you cannot physically ingest for nutritional purposes.
Do you know what you can buy with food stamps? Food.
Do you know what it’s like to scrounge for change to buy non-edible necessities, use a credit card and EBT card (food stamps) during the same transaction, and then have the person in line behind you judge you for buying the ingredients to make a birthday cake?
People who disseminate false information about food stamps have never had to use food stamps.
THIS. THIS THIS THIS.
Of course I’ll hurt you. Of course you’ll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.
Do you think if I comment on this and call him a douche bag that he’d take that as a compliment?
SPRING WISH LIST
I know we are all so over winter weather we could puke, and I’ve been slowly trying to accumulate a few new pieces for spring if it ever decides to come. I thought I’d pull together a quick list so I can stay focused with any clothing shopping over the next few months. I either already own or have already purchased (usually VERY on sale) a lot of these items, so I just have a few more things to keep an eye out on.
- I really need to restock my candle supply with some spring scents so that our house can stop smelling like leaves or Christmas trees all the time from our remaining holiday candles.
- New spring nail polish! I am VERY into pastels for nails and clothes this year - I already have most of these colors in my collection.
- I love Target wedges, but two seasons are about their max life span for me. Rather than buy a new brown and a new black pair, I’m looking for something that I can pair with any outfit like these.
- I’ve been hankering for a very simple gold band that I can then add some other stacking rings to.
- A midi skirt is at the top of my spring list - I would love this cream version but may get more wear out of a black one. I don’t have many skirts that aren’t pencil skirts for work, so I’d love this is a date night option.
- I am guilty every year of buying new bathing suit tops to all pair with the same couple of pairs of plain black bottoms. I have accepted this and have already nabbed this black simple top and would love to add this polka dot and turquoise number to my spring arsenal (had to get to work on swimwear a little earlier than usual this year thanks to next weekend’s beach bachelorette!!) Also, pro tip - Victorias Secret bathing suit bottoms are either thongs or built for baby butts as the only bottoms they had that fit me have a weird ruche line up the middle that makes my butt look like Kim Kardashian’s (maybe not the worst thing? Just feels like it is accentuating my butt crack, which is weeeeiiird.)
- I’m so ready to bust out my tank tops for outdoor running without freezing (especially since I have found a new love in the GapFit tanks for $20.) For cooler days I will be pulling out my hoodies (slug life.)
- I really want a pair of casual sneakers for some reason - I was thinking a pair of black ones would look good since 90% of my workout bottoms are black and that if they are at least somewhat functional then I could wear them to things like spin classes.
- I had a pair of black linen shorts that I loved with light sweaters and long sleeve tops last year, and I am very into army green this year so these shorts could be A+. I also really want a pair of brightly patterned shorts - even if they do highlight my big rear.
- I am thinking a simple black maxi dress could get a lot of wear this year with cardigans, scarves and bright jewelry.
- Pastel sweaters - gimme all of them. Also, pastel jewelry like this mint number.
- I donated a LOT of my striped clothing that had just gotten worn out last month so I’m looking for a few key replacements - a casual top, a tank and a dress.
- I have been loving thinking of all the ways to wear my denim jacket this spring. I would also really like a tan or cream blazer to wear with jeans + tees and to work.
- Go ahead, unfollow me, because even I can’t explain my NEED for a pair of camo jeans this spring. To my credit, I got a great price for them (I think $15) and think they will be fun with slouchy grey tees as well as some of the pastel sweaters I have. Shrug. Other pants needs include new white jeans (love the slightly distressed skinnies I got from Old Navy last month) and am on the lookout for a light grey pair to add to the rotation. I wear jeans most days to work, so it’s always nice to have a good variety of them.
And that’s that! Like I said, I either already owned some of these items (bathing suit top, tanks and hoodies, nail polish, jean jacket, some pastel sweaters, and the camo and white jeans,) will be actively seeking some of these (like the midi skirt, black maxi, new wedges, casual sneakers and tan or cream blazer) and would love to add the others (polka dot bathing suit top, grey jeans, new striped options and new shorts) if I can get a really good deal on them and still want them as badly in one month or two months. I like pulling together my wish list like this so that as the season progresses I can say, oh yeah! I’ve wanted that for months! and try not to buy that shirt at Target because it’s only $15 but I won’t wear it as often as some of my wish list items.
We’re so excited to have The Avett Brothers appearing on the show tonight! And as an added bonus, we’re premiering their new video for “Morning Song” from their latest album, “Magpie and the Dandelion.” Bonus cool fact? It was produced by Judd Apatow! Check it out above!
Nope, still not over my love of Avett Brothers.
things i love:
when i email IT to say hey, this thing isn’t working and they send me a link to the page of directions to do said thing, which i have been trying futilely for 30 minutes. thanks, got that, now i’m letting you know that is actually not working for me.
Quick February Recap First
- Read 4 books - read 3 so close but no cigar!
- 3 yoga classes - made it to 2 (one weekend was impossible due to partying for Brooke and me both, and this weekend it was canceled for a workshop! boo!)
- 50 miles running - No, probably closer to 30. Meh.
- Go through closet AGAIN and get rid of at least 5 items - I did this and got rid of 5 items and THEN some. Probably got rid of more like 75 items. It felt awesome.
- Hang clothing bar in closet and make sure it is organized - Done.
- No snapping at Blake when we argue - be respectful and loving even when it’s hard. - This one wasn’t very measurable but it was good to keep in mind - constantly working on this but I feel I did better at taking a step back and a big breath.
- Set weekly goals - I missed a week on the blog but this helped me get my focus back on being mindful of how quickly each day/week/month passes and how easy it is to let them get away
- Actually hang those picture frames in the bedroom - changed one out and hung the mirror and one frame this weekend (so technically March but shhh!) I’m returning one frame to switch out for a different color before we hang it tonight and then we will work on the gallery wall over the bed next.
- Roast a chicken (working on that goal to make one thing well this year!) - Blake has voiced concern that our dutch over isn’t quite up to sitting in the oven for 3 - 4 hours so I didn’t roast a chicken but I DID help him make some of the most delicious chicken I’ve ever had this month. Shrug.
- Make doctor’s appointments - Check
- Get a hot pink manicure for Valentine’s Day - Check!
Overall I felt okay about being productive during the short month.
On to March, though! This is a CRAZY month for me - I’ll be out of town the next two weekends and then have a wedding/our anniversary the next and one calm weekend to end the month on.
- Sign up for AAA (Blake and I have put this off too long)
- Renew professional website domain
- Get quotes for renter’s insurance (we probably won’t actually start our policy until we decide about renewing our lease in April)
- Sunday set up - take time on Sundays that is usually devoted to napping to write out our meal plan and exercise plan for the week, go grocery shopping, pick out and iron the week’s outfits (I’ve been doing this for a few weeks and it has really helped me get out the door in the morning) and portion out snacks for the week.
- Yoga x 3
- Finish my half marathon (No time goals for this one.)
- Hit 100,000 steps every week (thank goodness I found my FitBit this morning after thinking I’d lost it last week)
- Track my food (and therefore login) to MFP daily
- Lose 4 pounds (1 pound per week)
- Finish next 21 skills on Duolingo
- Start Google Analytics Academy
- Choose and order prints for gallery wall above bed
- Go through underclothes and get rid of at least 5 old, worn out items
- Read 4 books (I’ve got Tell the Wolves I’m Home cued up - any other suggestions?)
File under: things I killed myself to memorize when I was 19 and am now having to relearn at almost 27.
Conjugating French words is my nightmare.
apparently i don’t remember to do these at the beginning of the week.
Forgot to set these last week and it’s already late Tuesday but that’s ok! Last week I did okay on my goals - no yoga and only 2 runs and no Pure Barre, but I did vacuum my car, return my library books, take care of everything wit the eye doctor, went through my closet, started a new book and got to work earlier Wednesday - Friday. I still need to go through my makeup, so I’ll add it to this week’s list. On tap for the remainder of the week:
- one yoga class
- run 3 times (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
- one FlyWheel class
- deposit my Ebates check
- update my resume and double-check the website updates I made this week
- get an oil change
- drop off all clothes donations that are in my trunk
- schedule pedicure (I got a gift certificate for a fancy nail salon that only takes appointments which is weird because usually my mani’s cost $10)
- finish all laundry
- go through makeup and get new makeup bag
cool. happy wednesday!