Today’s version of loving life right involved eating 1,065 different tapas at dinner with 12 friends from college (topped off with churros dipped in dark chocolate sauce,) dancing ridiculously at a Buckhead bar we would never otherwise go to, and singing along to the Wicked soundtrack at the top of our lungs on the way home. Today was a very good day.
Drag your cursor (on a computer) or swipe your finger (on a phone or tablet) across each photo below. The 2005 Hurricane Katrina photo will dissolve into a picture from the identical vantage point nine years later.
Fall wish list that I’m starting to chip away at involves lots of navy and comfy (work from home appropriate) sweaters, button ups and pullovers, new basics that can be dressed up like ponte pants, simple neutral dresses, and a new navy skirt, as well as some clothing that can double as football game attire when purchased in Bama appropriate colors.
I’m also looking to add a little (faux) leather to the wardrobe to mix in with existing fall staples, a running pullover with hood to protect me on rainy training runs, crops for when it starts to be a little too cool for the massive collection of running shorts I’ve acquired, and another pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 17s while they are deeply discounted this month before the 18s come out (I love these shoes so much.)
Last but not least, I want to check out the new Naked Basics 2 palette since I enjoy my original so very much, new glasses with my updated prescription as I went to the eye doctor last week and my prescription had changed by almost a full point (cool, getting old,) darker fall lipsticks, a felt baseball hat for hungover return trips from football games, more Bama appropriate gear in the form of Kendra Scott earrings, some transitional wedges and a new pair of leopard heels.
Links to everything here.
Oh hello there!
Pretty excited that that top print is on its way to anchor our updated gallery wall above the bed. Happy Friday!
i think i definitely wasn’t clear earlier today with my thoughts. i guess i meant that i was struck with an overwhelming question of what can i do? when looking at the injustices that just won’t stop. i’ve seen some posts floating around with some good suggestions on just that- what can be done. i appreciate that.
i also didn’t want to look flippant - like i was tired of no fun subjects. tied into my first thought of wanting to know what in the world i can do is wanting to make sure that talking about other things didn’t indicate a level of not caring. that things that i normally do or talk about didn’t seem as important in light of things (which is exactly how it should be.) being outraged at the shit that is happening all the time could be a full-time job, and i get sucked into things in a way that is hard to snap out of without a productive outlet. i didn’t want a break to go back to fun things so much as i want there to one day not be so much shit that it is hard to find a moment where there isn’t something to act on or worry about or think about or share.
all this to say that i clearly need to look a bit deeper into how to help and be more productive than just retweeting journalists as i sit hundreds of miles away.
This weekend was pretty great. Friday night Blake and I went out to dinner (something we are going to try to do more often now) and tried a new-to-us pizza place that everyone always raves about. It was good, but we are still chasing the ghost of some insanely delicious pizza we had in Nashville. Saturday we were supposed to go hiking at Stone Mountain, but the forecast of storms convinced us to change our minds. Instead, we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and then took a trip to one of my favorite places on Earth - the aquarium. We obviously had a blast and highlights included climbing through the crawl tunnel to pop my head up in the penguin habitat along with 300 children and getting to visit almost every hall twice. Yesterday we traded out a rock climbing class for extra naps and relaxing. I may have napped a little too hard as I couldn’t fall asleep until after 3 am, but consider the late night productive as I was able to finish We Were Liars (loved it!) and all of House of Cards.
I’m already excited about planning another fun weekend for us that will definitely include a trip to the zoo (for free thanks to the library!) and maybe that rock climbing class and some crepes. Just gotta make it through 4.2 more work days first.
Strawberry + walnuts and vanilla + sprinkles + a few squiggle worms. Froyo for dinner is always one of my favorite “adult” decisions and is a top notch way to ward off any possible Sunday Sads.
(One week late once again, but that’s okay with me)
recap of July goals..
- run 65 miles - SO close. I ran 61.3 and just ran out of time on 7/31 to fit my last 4 mile run in
- walk 25 miles - again, close but no cigar. fit in 22.3 miles of walking, which is still an increase over last month.
- 4 Pure Barre classes - nope :(
- 3 spin or XT classes - YUP
- stick to my training plan - meh, i’d say i stuck to it about 85%. I missed one long run but mostly made up for it with a longer run during the week and also missed one or two strength sessions
- PR at the Peachtree - I’d almost forgotten that I nailed this one. Nice!
- Log food on MFP every day and cross 150 day mark - I forgot to log in on the Saturday after the 4th and I was SO sad when I realized it at about 12:25 am that night. Time to start a new streak!
- Clean baseboards - some of them, yes. Trying to focus on ones important for painting the downstairs first.
- Update resume and website - semi-completed. It could use a little more work but is okay for now.
- read 4 books - i thiiink i did this. maybe just 3. maybe 2. if i can’t remember, then they couldn’t have been that good.
- menu plan and cook 1 meal a week myself - we weren’t super great at planning but i did cook 2 or 3 meals for us on my own (a feat in itself.)
- thank you notes sent - yup!
- reach $1,300 raised for TNT - YAS. I’m so excited about this one. That means I have just under 2 months to finish fundraising - I’m 72% done now!
- get fitted for new running shoes - Yup. Turns out I am NOT an overpronator anymore. Bought new shoes as well.
- Photos off iPhone - yup
- order calligraphy stuff + start learning - nope, so lets try to do that this month
- run 85 miles (including 4 long runs of 10, 12, 14 and 16 miles - gulp!)
- walk 20 miles
- XT once per week and strength training once per week, plus 10 minutes of arm exercises 5 times per week
- book plane ticket to chicago
- raise $250 more dollars for TNT
- go through tees and closet and donate any that weren’t worn yet this summer
- read 5 books
- make doctor appointments/order contacts/etc - grown up annoying stuff
- reign in spending - not necessarily a shopping freeze but a definite cool down (especially on beauty products!)
- make a point to get “ready” when working from home. I’ve gotten in a bad habit of working in my pj’s for half the day and then feeling gross and unmotivated.
- cross one project per week off of my random (and, to be honest, Pinterest inspired) to do list
- finish painting the downstairs and hang the new blinds in the bedroom and kitchen
- clean out and detail car
Trying to get as much little stuff out of the way before football season takes over the fall!
Running With The Kenyans- Adharanand Finn (via 1500m—runner)
how amazing does this pool party movie night look?
(via Pool Party Movie Night)
- Brooke and I booked our flights to CHICAGO for the marathon last night! I’m already way too excited and need to constantly remember that while up there I will have to run 26.2 miles and also eat 26.2 pieces of pizza (minimum.)
- ALSO Brooke asked me to be a bridesmaid yesterday and of COURSE I said yes and I’m so excited + lucky, lucky, lucky to have a sister-in-law that is also a best friend.
- I wore my new shorts (that I got for a steal last week) yesterday on my run along with my new Garmin and new shoes and loved all of it.
- Crossed a big work to-do off my list today by finishing one project.
- Blake and I have a fun weekend planned together that will include all or some of the following: fancy pizza, hiking, a laser show on the side of a mountain, rock climbing classes, drinks with friends, crepes and a movie.
- Sometimes the little things, like my new tiny wireless mouse plus a 3 pm snack of cookies and milk (courtesy of the office,) make the work day so much happier and easier.
- I haven’t quite managed to kill any of the plants in the bedroom around my desk - yet.
There’s no such thing as too much purple when you’re running with Team in Training. Purple headband, tank, watch, socks, and shoes - check.